How to travel to Europe for work post BREXIT?

Since the UK has left the EU, there have been changes to business travel. Whether you’re attending a conference, meeting suppliers or providing services, there are a few things to check, such as new visas and work permits before going abroad.

To make sure you’re all set before you travel for business in the EU, here is a checklist:

Your visa, work permits

Business travellers may need to apply for a visa, work permit or other documentation before travelling to the EU, EEA and Switzerland. You should visit the specific country guides and the EU Immigration Portal to find out the entry requirements for the country/countries you are travelling to and how to apply for a visa and/or work permit if needed.

You will need a visa or work permit if you are:

  • Taking part in activities or providing services that are not covered by a country’s visa-waiver rules 
  • Staying for more than 90 days in a 180-day period for any reason 
  • Transferring from the UK branch of a company to a branch in a different country (‘intra-corporate transfer’), even for a short time 
  • Carrying out contracts to provide a service to a client in another country in which your business or employer has no presence 
  • Providing services in another country as a self-employed person

Your Insurance

If you are responsible for a business that sends staff abroad, check whether you need indemnity insurance for your employees.

You should also look into the new rules that apply to all travel

  • Check COVID-19 restrictions 
  • Check your passport’s expiry date 
  • Get travel insurance that covers your healthcare 
  • Check you have the right driving documents if needed

Your Earnings

You can find out if you will still have to pay UK Income Tax and find out whether you will pay social security contributions in the country where you work or in the UK on the dedicated UK Government portal.

Your Qualifications

To continue to practice or service clients in the EU (e.g. for engineering, teaching or legal services), make sure your qualifications are recognised by the relevant regulatory or professional body.

You can check the European Commission’s Regulated Professions Database (REGPROF) to find out if your profession is regulated. If you need to find out how to get your professional qualification recognised, you can contact the relevant country.

Your Luggage

You need to be aware of new personal allowance rules when travelling between Great Britain and the EU and make any necessary declarations.

Webinar: Business travel to Europe

HMG hosted this webinar on 29 June 2021 to discuss the new rules for Business Travel to Europe. (Please note that the information given was correct at the time. You can check the website for the most up to date travel guidance relating to COVID-19 restrictions.)

Photo by Anete Lūsiņa, published on Unsplash

Valentine Hutchings

Valentine Hutchings

Head of Community and small business enthusiast

Subscribe to our FREE business tips newsletter

    I am a:

    By subscribing you agree to receive marketing communications from Tide.
    You can unsubscribe anytime using the link in the footer of any of our emails.
    See our privacy policy.

    Thanks for signing up.

    Related Articles

    Image of Tide card

    A business bank account that's free, easy to open, and helps you start doing what you love.

    Tide is about doing what you love. That’s why we’re trusted by 500,000+ sole traders, freelancers and limited companies throughout the UK.

    Open an account
    Image of App Store 4.7, 27k
    Image of Google Play 4.6, 3.7k