Senior Java Engineer
As a Senior Java Engineer at Tide you will be working on new and existing projects. We have a long roadmap ahead of us, with exciting new features and you’ll be solving interesting problems while collaborating with the rest of the Tide team to achieve our mission to save small and medium businesses time and money.
With our expanding business, we will encourage you to outgrow your initial responsibilities, if you so desire. This role offers an exceptional opportunity to make a real difference by taking ownership of engineering practices in a rapidly expanding company!
Technology and our people are what make Tide possible. We work in autonomous teams, self-organise, discuss technical challenges, and set our own guidelines in the different Community of Practices.
On the backend we see Java 8 as legacy and use Java 11+ for our micro-services. We provide RESTful APIs to our colleagues in the frontend. Spring Boot is our work horse, but we are open to new experiments. We are cloud-native and run everything on AWS. You’ll see containers (Docker), queues (SNS+SQS, Kafka) and events everywhere. The nature of our business naturally fits with relational databases, but we have also found some use cases for NoSQL. Our frontends have done an incredible job at consuming our APIs and providing the best UX to our members. They are native Android and iOS apps or Angular 2+ web apps. The Cloud Engineering team provides us with vital infrastructure and DevOps support on the cloud.
Some of the things you’ll be doing:
- Working on projects solving interesting challenges and problems that will save small business time and money globally.
- You will be the person who less experienced engineers turn to when seeking advice and the one that ensures that things get done with a professional seal of quality.
- Joining one of our expanding multidisciplinary agile teams, you will work closely with product owners, mobile engineers, and other business members to translate requirements into well-engineered solutions.
- You will ideally join our backend community of practices and your input on how to improve processes and maintain a high quality across the backend will be very welcomed. Career progression is as important to us as it is for you!
You’ll be a great fit if you:
- Have experience (8+ years) building server-side applications and detailed knowledge of the relevant programming languages for your stack (i.e Java 8 or newer).
- Have sound knowledge of a Java backend framework (e.g. Spring/Spring Boot).
- Have experience with microservices and implementing and consuming RESTful APIs.
- Have experience engineering scalable and reliable solutions.
- Demonstrate a mindset of delivering secure, well-tested and well-documented software.
- Are willing to own your code and your team’s processes from development to production.
- Have experience with relational databases.
- Are comfortable working in agile methodologies, ideally Scrum.
- Have the ability to communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience.
- Have experience integrating to third parties.
- Have exposure to continuous integration, delivery and deployment.
- Have experience leading and coaching of technical staff.
We’re the UK’s leading provider of smart current accounts for sole traders and small companies. We’re also on a mission to save business owners time and money on their banking and finance admin so they can get back to doing what they love – for too long, these customers have been under-served by the big banks.
Our offices are in London, UK, Sofia, Bulgaria and Hyderabad, India, where our teams are dedicated to our small business members, revolutionizing business banking for SMEs. We are also the leading provider of UK SME business accounts and one of the fastest-growing fintechs in the UK.
We’re scaling at speed with a focus on hiring talented individuals with a growth mindset and ownership mentality, who are able to juggle multiple and sometimes changing priorities. Our values show our commitment to working as one team, working collaboratively to take action and deliver results. Being members first, we are passionate about our members and put them first. We are data-driven. We make decisions and create insights using data.
What you’ll get in return:
- Competitive salary
- Vitality Health Insurance, with a proactive focus on mental and physical wellbeing
- Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days holiday with the ability to buy extra days
- We invest in your development with a £1,000 professional L&D budget per year
- Access to ‘salary sacrifice’ benefits such as Cycle to Work scheme and pension contribution
- Spacious brand new office in Liverpool street with an all-day snacks bar
- Enhanced family-friendly leave
- 24 hours paid volunteering time off per year
- Flexible working options
- Sabbatical leave
- Share options
Here’s what we think about diversity and inclusion…
We build our services for all types of small business owners. We aim to be as diverse as our members so we hire people from a variety of backgrounds. We’re proud that our diversity not only reflects our multicultural society but that this breadth of experience makes us awesome at solving problems. Everyone here has a voice and you’ll be able to make a difference. If you share our values and want to help small businesses, you’ll make an amazing Tidean.
A note on the future of work at Tide:
Tide’s offices are beginning to open for Tideans to return on a voluntary basis. Timelines for reopening will be unique for each region and will be based on region-specific guidelines. The health and well-being of Tideans and candidates is our primary concern, therefore, for the foreseeable future, we have transitioned all interviews and onboarding to be conducted via Zoom.
Once offices are fully open, Tideans will be able to choose to work from the office or remotely, with the requirement that they visit the office or participate in face-to-face team activities several times per month.