Senior Java Engineer
Employment Type: Full-time
Hello, we’re Tide.
We believe SMEs have been vastly underserviced and overlooked by traditional banks. Something as simple as opening an account can take weeks, mountains of paperwork and too much time. Through a mobile-first platform, we provide modern business banking services to small-business owners, saving them time so they can get back to doing what they love.
Based in central London, Tide is backed by some of Europe’s most notable founders and investors, including Robin and Saul Klein (LocalGlobe) and Alex Chesterman (Zoopla Property Group), as well as top VCs in London and Stockholm (Anthemis, Creandum and Passion Capital).
We’re offering the right person, the opportunity to join our dynamic team to help unlock the next stage of our growth. We’re a rocket ship that’s going places – this looks a little like world domination!
Your day will look a little like this:
As a Senior Java Engineer at Tide (fondly referred to as a Tidean, a god like challenger of the banking world) you will split your time between design, coding and coaching of other team members. You will be the person who less experienced engineers turn to when seeking advice and the one that ensures that things get done with a professional seal of quality. Joining one of our expanding multidisciplinary agile teams, you will be required to work closely with product owners, architects, mobile engineers, and other business members to translate requirements into well-engineered solutions.
You will ideally join our backend community of practices and your input on how to improve processes and maintain a high quality across the backend will be very welcomed. Career progression is as important to us as it is for you! With our expanding teams and business we will encourage you to outgrow your initial responsibilities, if you so desire. This role offers an exceptional opportunity to make a real difference with responsibilities across engineering practices in a rapidly expanding company!
Who are we looking for?
We are not looking for perfection! But we need communicative problem solvers that get things done well. More technically we need:
- Extensive software development experience.
- Experience building server-side applications and detailed knowledge of the relevant programming languages for your stack (i.e Java 8 or newer).
- Sound knowledge of Spring, Spring Boot or another Java backend framework.
- Experience with microservices and Implementing and consuming RESTful APIs.
- Experience engineering scalable and reliable solutions.
- Experience integrating to third parties.
- A mindset of delivering well-tested and well-documented software.
- Experience with relational databases.
- Comfortable in a UNIX-like command line.
- Comfortable working in agile methodologies, ideally Scrum.
- Ability to communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience.
Though not required, it would be nice if you also had:
- Exposure to continuous integration, delivery and deployment.
- Exposure to Amazon Web Services.
- Some knowledge of Docker or similar container technologies.
- Exposure to GRPC.
- Exposure to message brokers.
What are we like to work for?
- We’re not corporate, we’re a start-up. You will have an unparalleled exposure to many areas of the business – improve and impact how we work
- We will give you the freedom to be inquisitive and proactive – pursue your interests and develop career with us as we scale
- We’re open and progressive – input is encouraged at all levels
- We’re a social bunch. We celebrate the milestones, big and small and genuinely enjoy each other’s company!
Diversity is what makes our world interesting. Different people bring fresh new ideas, thinking and approaches, which make the way work is undertaken more effective and efficient. If you’re not into diversity, Tide may not be in the right place for you! Tide holds itself accountable against measurable diversity objectives.