Staff Backend Engineer – Python
You are enthusiastic about using data technology to solve business problems. This opportunity is a great fit, if you have software development & data skills and eager for an opportunity to build cloud native, enterprise-scale ML and data systems.
After joining you will work in a fast paced environment, writing services that enable us to productionize machine learning models and to integrate with external data sources. You will lead a team of data engineers and help them architect and develop various distributed event-driven & data solutions. You have an agile mindset, aiming to deliver business value in increments. Working alongside data engineers, data scientists and POs in order to quickly productionize high quality software applications.
Occasional traveling to our offices in Sofia and/or London is expected post-pandemic.
Some of the things you’ll be doing:
- Developing Python code to facilitate the operationalization of machine learning models and integration of additional data sources
- Collaborating in cross-functional software/architecture design sessions to find the best solutions for the challenges that we are facing
- Participating in an agile development team that delivers value iteratively
- Building both batch, streaming and real-time services in Python
- Challenging your thinking and the thinking of your team on how we can deliver value in a leaner fashion
- Lead and mentor a team of engineers. Be involved in the hiring and onboarding of new teammates
You’ll be a great fit if:
- You have solid experience leading a team of backend/ML engineers, coaching best practices and architecting solutions
- You have extensive development experience in Python, including development of microservices using e.g. Flask, Django, etc.
- You have experience in building data solutions, both batch processes and streaming applications
- You are familiar with event-driven designs, specifically you have worked with Kafka, Pulsar, RabbitMQ, etc. before
- You have experience working in an agile team, dedicated to generating value in an iterative fashion
- Experience in batch processing frameworks
- You have high development standards, especially for code quality, code reviews, testing, continuous integration and deployment
- You have experience working with machine learning models and know about the challenges faced when putting these into production
- Business-level of English and excellent communication skills
- Experience with Git, Docker, CI/CD
- Experience with a cloud computing environment (preferably AWS)
Who are Tide?
We’re the UK’s leading provider of smart current accounts for sole traders and small companies. We’re also on a mission to save business owners time and money on their banking and finance admin so they can get back to doing what they love – for too long, these customers have been under-served by the big banks.
Our offices are in London, UK, Sofia, Bulgaria and Hyderabad, India, where our teams are dedicated to our small business members, revolutionizing business banking for SMEs. We are also the leading provider of UK SME business accounts and one of the fastest-growing fintechs in the UK.
We’re scaling at speed with a focus on hiring talented individuals with a growth mindset and ownership mentality, who are able to juggle multiple and sometimes changing priorities. Our values show our commitment to working as one team, working collaboratively to take action and deliver results. Members first, we are passionate about our members and put them first. We are data-driven, we make decisions, creating insight using data.
We’re also one of LinkedIn’s top 10 hottest UK companies to work for.
What you’ll get in return:
- Competitive compensation package
- Company stock options
Here’s what we think about diversity and inclusion…
We build our services for all types of small business owners. We aim to be as diverse as our members so we hire people from a variety of backgrounds. We’re proud that our diversity not only reflects our multicultural society but that this breadth of experience makes us awesome at solving problems. Everyone here has a voice and you’ll be able to make a difference. If you share our values and want to help small businesses, you’ll make an amazing Tidean.