About the company
We are Tide and we are rising. Passionately following our mission to save the business owners time and money we’ve emerged as one of the fastest growing fintechs in the UK and the leading provider of smart current accounts for SMEs.
One out of every 20 small businesses in the UK right now is using Tide to run their daily banking, handle their finance admin, fund their initiatives using our lending products and financial services.
We don’t intend to stop there. We’ve recently started our global expansion and our eyes are always set on the next market to liberate from being under-served by the big banks, following our core values of putting our members first, working together as one team to ultimately make strong data-driven decisions.
The people building the technology that makes all of this possible are spread across our 3 tech centers – London, Sofia and Hyderabad. We’re at a stage some people call hypergrowth and we’re always on the lookout for talented individuals with a growth mindset and ownership mentality empowering them to thrive in the dynamic world of juggling multiple priorities and sometimes changing priorities
About the role
As a Staff Engineer at Tide you will be working on the designing, creating and running the rich product catalogue of your area. We have a long roadmap ahead of us and rarely run out of interesting problems to tackle. To name some of the products we are running – we have our own core account/payments infrastructure adapted to a variety of partner banks, our onboarding flow is a complicated state machine, we offer numerous lending products and a ton of business admin tools to help our members run their accounting, payroll, tax and so on, and last but not least – we have tooling to handle the our marketing, servicing, public APIs and starting from this year – our investment products and acquiring solutions.
This role offers an exceptional opportunity to make a real difference by taking ownership of engineering practices in a rapidly expanding company! We trust and empower our Staff engineers to make real architectural decisions that affect their domain and shape the future of Tide’s One Platform.
We work in small autonomous teams, grouped under common domains owning the full lifecycle of some microservices in Tide’s service catalogue. Our engineers self-organise, gather together to discuss technical challenges, and set their own guidelines in the different Communities of Practice regardless of where they currently stand in our Growth Framework.
- Java, Spring Boot and JOOQ to build the RESTful APIs of our microservices (but we welcome people who are used to any strongly typed general purpose programming language!)
- Event-driven architecture with messages over SNS+SQS and Kafka to make them reliable
- Primary datastores are MySQL and PostgreSQL via RDS or Aurora (we are heavy AWS users)
- Docker, Terraform, ECS used by the Cloud team to run the platform
- DataDog, ElasticSearch/Fluentd/Kibana and Rollbar to keep it running
- Bitbucket with Sonarcloud, Snyk and solid testing to power the CI/CD pipelines – new joiners are encouraged to have something deployed to production in their first 2 weeks
- Angular 2+ with ngrx on Web, Swift/Kotlin on native mobile, Flutter for the UniClient
- Fivetran/Snowflake/Looker for the BI insights and Python/Faust/Flask/Tecton + some ML libs for the automated decisioning and risk management
Some of the things you'll be doing
- Defining and owning autonomously part of the target architecture for your domain, making sure that all the projects and services in the area follow it
- Working on early engineering phases to lay the groundwork for the team(s) in your area
- Working with the product team to select technology partners
- Leading backend engineers across multiple agile teams carefully dividing your time between design, coding and coaching other team members. You will be the person people turn to seeking advice and solutions to difficult problems
- Regularly aligning your vision and roadmap of the your part of the target architecture with other Staff Engineers and their respective target architectures to ensure the success of complex multi domain initiatives
- Working closely with product owners, mobile & web engineers, data scientist and other business members to translate requirements into well-engineered solutions
- Making key contributions to our Community of Practice. You will apply your extensive experience on our problem domain and existing guidelines to become a true beacon of best practices among your fellow engineers
You will be a great fit if you
- Have extensive experience (10+ years) building server-side applications and detailed knowledge of the relevant programming languages for your stack (e.g. Java 8 or newer). You don’t need to know Java, but to be on top of the teams, you need to be willing to learn it (we already have a lot of microservices written in Java)
- Have a sound knowledge of a backend framework (e.g. Spring/Spring Boot)
- Have experience with running microservices and implementing and consuming RESTful APIs (in the world of Open Banking often times they are gonna be public!)
- Have experience engineering scalable and reliable solutions in a cloud-native environment
- Demonstrate a mindset of delivering secure, well-tested and well-documented software
- Are willing to own your code and your team’s processes from development to production
- Have exposure to complex solutions in the area of financial / payment services
- Have experience integrating with various third party providers and partners
- Have experience with relational databases.
- Are comfortable working in an agile environment
- Have the ability to communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience
- Have exposure to continuous integration, delivery and deployment
What you’ll get in return:
- Competitive salary
- Vitality Health Insurance, with a proactive focus on mental and physical wellbeing
- Hundreds of perks and discounts through Vitality Health Insurance (fitness watches, Waitrose cashback, gym membership etc.)
- 24/7 Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days holiday with the ability to buy extra days
- We invest in your development with a £1,000 professional L&D budget per year
- Referral bonus when you bring your friends to join Tide
- Access to ‘salary sacrifice’ benefits such as Cycle to Work scheme and pension contribution
- Spacious brand new office in Liverpool street, London with an all-day snacks bar
- Enhanced family-friendly leave
- 24 hours paid volunteering time off per year
- Flexible work from home or at the office arrangements
- Monthly team socials (we’ve had themed bingo, online cocktail making sessions, wellbeing challenges and themed virtual pub quizzes)
- Sabbatical leave
- Share options
Here’s what we think about diversity and inclusion…
We build our services for all types of small business owners. We aim to be as diverse as our members so we hire people from a variety of backgrounds. We’re proud that our diversity not only reflects our multicultural society but that this breadth of experience makes us awesome at solving problems. Everyone here has a voice and you’ll be able to make a difference. If you share our values and want to help small businesses, you’ll make an amazing Tidean.
A note on the future of work at Tide:
Tide’s offices are beginning to open for Tideans to return on a voluntary basis. Timelines for reopening will be unique for each region and will be based on region-specific guidelines. The health and well-being of Tideans and candidates is our primary concern, therefore, for the foreseeable future, we have transitioned all interviews and onboarding to be conducted via Zoom.
Once offices are fully open, Tideans will be able to choose to work from the office or remotely, with the requirement that they visit the office or participate in face-to-face team activities several times per month.