User Researcher (UX)
Department: Design, UX & Brand
Employment Type: Full-time
Hello, we’re Tide.
We believe SMEs have been vastly underserviced and overlooked by traditional banks. Something as simple as opening an account can take weeks, mountains of paperwork and too much time. Through a mobile-first platform, we provide modern business banking services to small-business owners, saving them time so they can get back to doing what they love.
Based in central London, Tide is backed by some of Europe’s most notable founders and investors, including Robin and Saul Klein (LocalGlobe) and Alex Chesterman (Zoopla Property Group), as well as top VCs in London and Stockholm (Anthemis, Creandum and Passion Capital).
We’re offering the right person, the opportunity to join our dynamic team to help unlock the next stage of our growth. We’re a rocket ship that’s going places – this looks a little like world domination!
About the role
We’re looking for a User Researcher with an interest broader product research.
As a User Researcher (UX) (fondly referred to as a Tidean, a god like challenger of the banking world); you will be working across the company – with data scientists, product designers, product managers and engineers – to research and improve our banking app products and inform where we focus next.
We’ve taken our first steps to gather regular feedback, conduct customer research and define our UX testing. This role will build on these early stage foundations to implement research methods.
You will take ownership of research with our customers and in our mission to develop extraordinary products to help people run a business.
The ideal person will have the breadth and flexibility to focus in on a specific UX research, go in depth in competitor analysis as well as see the big picture and help with product strategy.
What you’ll do
• Take ownership of discovering groups and trends in our broad customer base. Define our personas or sub groups of users and identify different needs.
• Use this knowledge of our users, their pain points and aha moments to help decide what we should build next.
• Whether it is scoping a new product area or considering changing a feature you’ll be someone people can go to (along with data scientists) for answers.
• You will carry out qualitative research over phone, video and in person, one to one or groups as appropriate.
• You’ll take research results and simplify, prioritise or categorize it – making it digestible and actionable for other team members.
• Keep other teams informed – This could be casual communication, survey results, research reports, personas, user journeys. You will pass on learnings to stakeholders across the business.
• Technical user testing – conducting UX testing and observing users with an empathetic mindset.
• Working alongside designers on existing or proposed user flows and journeys. Testing prototypes and refining how new product features work.
• Take requests from team members – develop appropriate research methods and analyse results.
• Carry out competitor research, breaking down their product offerings, understanding trends in relevant markets and knowing what they are doing and saying.
• As well as our products you may work across other areas of the business to help us understand different needs, pain points or opportunities. This could include: Marketing website and materials, Customer care (Member support), Partners we work with (eg Accountants), Brand and communication research
• Relevant experience in a startup / design / research agency or fast paced environment.
• You can share links demonstrating how you have applied your research in a previous role.
• A natural curiosity and passion for understanding people, their motivations, their behaviours, and the challenges they face.
• Ability to work independently but share insight across the wider team.
• You know when to seek qualitative & quantitative data or both.
• Hands on experience running research, including recruiting processes, scheduling and logistics.
• Knowledge of research methods including – questionnaire development, interviewing, analysis, concept testing, usability testing (in lab & remote), guerilla testing, card sorting, diary studies, surveys, etc
• Excellent written and spoken English – ability to communicate effectively, regardless of the audience.
• You’ll know when to organise face to face interviews, use online methods, get a larger. sample size or guerrilla test – whilst considering time constraints and budget.
• You’ll know where time can be spent most effectively and can cope with change and uncertainty.
• Self-starter who can work within multi-disciplinary teams with minimal direction.
• Research for similar consumer facing apps
• A prior understanding of small business needs
What are we like to work for?
We’re not corporate, we’re a start-up. You will have an unparalleled exposure to many areas of the business – improve and impact how we work
We will give you the freedom to be inquisitive and proactive – pursue your interests and develop career with us as we scale
We’re open and progressive – input is encouraged at all levels
We’re a social bunch. We celebrate the milestones, big and small and genuinely enjoy each other’s company!
Diversity is what makes our world interesting. Different people bring fresh new ideas, thinking and approaches, which make the way work is undertaken more effective and efficient. If you’re not into diversity, Tide may not be in the right place for you! Tide holds itself accountable against measurable diversity objectives.