Senior Backend Engineer – 3 (Remote)
Who are Tide:
At Tide, we’re on a mission to save businesses time and money. We’re the leading provider of UK SME business accounts and one of the fastest-growing FinTechs in the UK. Using the latest tech, we design solutions with SMEs in mind and our member-driven financial platform is transforming the business banking market. Not only do we offer our members business accounts and related banking services, but also a comprehensive set of highly connected admin tools for businesses.
Tide is about doing what you love. We’re looking for someone to join us on our exciting scale up journey and be a part of something special. We are wanting passionate Tideans to drive innovation and help build a best-in-class platform to support our members. You will be comfortable in ambiguous situations and will be able to navigate the evolving FinTech environment. Imagine shaping how millions of Tide members discover and engage with business banking platforms and building this on a global scale.
What we’re looking for:
As a senior Java Engineer at Tide you will be working on new and existing projects for our Payments area. We have a long roadmap ahead of us, with exciting new features and you’ll be solving interesting problems while collaborating with the rest of the Tide team to achieve our mission to save small and medium businesses time and money.
With our expanding business, we will encourage you to outgrow your initial responsibilities, if you so desire. This role offers an exceptional opportunity to make a real difference by taking ownership of engineering practices in a rapidly expanding company!
Technology and our people are what make Tide possible. We work in autonomous teams, self-organise, discuss technical challenges, and set our own guidelines in the different Community of Practices.
On the backend we see Java 8 as legacy and use Java 11+ for our micro-services. We provide RESTful APIs to our colleagues in the frontend. Spring Boot is our work horse, but we are open to new experiments. We are cloud-native and run everything on AWS. You’ll see containers (Docker), queues (SNS+SQS, Kafka) and events everywhere. The nature of our business naturally fits with relational databases, but we have also found some use cases for NoSQL. Our frontends have done an incredible job at consuming our APIs and providing the best UX to our members. They are native Android and iOS apps or Angular 2+ web apps. The Cloud Engineering team provides us with vital infrastructure and DevOps support on the cloud.
As a Senior Backend Engineer you’ll be:
- Working on early engineering phases to lay the groundwork for your team(s) in the Payments area.
- Leading backend engineers across multiple agile teams splitting your time between design, coding and coaching other team members. You will be the person people turn to seeking advice and solutions to difficult problems.
- Joining one or more multidisciplinary agile teams, you will be required to work closely with product owners, mobile engineers, and other business members to translate requirements into well-engineered solutions.
- Making key contributions to our backend community of practices. Your input on how to improve processes and maintain a high quality across the backend will be very welcomed. Career progression is as important to us as it is for you!
What makes you a great fit:
- Have extensive experience (4+ years) building server-side applications and detailed knowledge of the relevant programming languages for your stack (i.e Java 8 or newer).
- Have a sound knowledge of a Java backend framework (e.g. Spring/Spring Boot).
- Have experience with microservices and implementing and consuming RESTful APIs.
- Have experience engineering scalable and reliable solutions.
- Demonstrate a mindset of delivering secure, well-tested and well-documented software.
- Are willing to own your code and your team’s processes from development to production.
- Have exposure to complex solutions in payments-related industries.
- Have experience integrating to third parties.
- Experience with relational databases.
- Have experience with relational databases.
- Are comfortable working in agile methodologies, ideally Scrum.
- Have the ability to communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience.
- Have exposure to continuous integration, delivery and deployment.
What you’ll get in return:
Make work, work for you! We are embracing new ways of working and support flexible working arrangements. With our Working Out of Office (WOO) policy our colleagues can work remotely from home or anywhere in their home country. Additionally, you can work from a different country for up to 90 days a year. Plus, you’ll get:
- Competitive salary
- Self & Family Health Insurance
- Term & Life Insurance
- OPD Benefits
- Mental wellbeing through Plumm
- Learning & Development Budget
- WFH Setup allowance
- 25 Annual leaves
- Family & Friendly Leaves
Tidean Ways of Working
At Tide, we’re Member First and Data Driven, but above all, we’re One Team. Our Working Out of Office (WOO) policy allows you to work from anywhere in the world for up to 90 days a year. We are remote first, but when you do want to meet new people, collaborate with your team or simply hang out with your colleagues, our offices are always available and equipped to the highest standard. We offer flexible working hours and trust our employees to do their work well, at times that suit them and their team.
Tide is a place for everyone
At Tide, we believe that we can only succeed if we let our differences enrich our culture. Our Tideans come from a variety of backgrounds and experience levels. We consider everyone irrespective of their ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status. We believe it’s what makes us awesome at solving problems! We are One Team and foster a transparent and inclusive environment, where everyone’s voice is heard.