Senior Backend Engineers, Remote
At Tide, we are building a financial platform designed to save small and medium-sized businesses time and money. We provide our members with business accounts and related services, including Cards, POS terminals, Credit services, Expense Cards invoicing and accounting tools and many more. Our vision is to become the world's leading FinTech Platform. We're not just building technology and great products, we're empowering people to make informed business decisions and lifting generations of hard working entrepreneurs.
Founded in 2015, Tide is now the leading business financial platform in the UK with 550,000 SME members (10% market share) and more than 150,000 SMEs in India. Headquartered in London, Tide has nearly 1,800 Tideans across the UK, Bulgaria, India, Serbia, Romania, Ukraine and Germany.
Tide is rapidly growing, expanding into new markets and always looking for passionate and driven people. Join us in our mission to enable small businesses to save time and money and do what they love.
About the Team
Our 40+ engineering teams are working on designing, creating and running the rich product catalogue across our business areas (e.g. Payments Services, Business Services). We have a long roadmap ahead of us and always have interesting problems to tackle.
We trust and empower our engineers to make real technical decisions that affect multiple teams and shape the future of Tide’s Global One Platform.It’s an exceptional opportunity to make a real difference by taking ownership of engineering practices in a rapidly expanding company!
We work in small autonomous teams, grouped under common domains owning the full lifecycle of some microservices in Tide’s service catalogue. Our engineers self-organise, gather together to discuss technical challenges, and set their own guidelines in the different Communities of Practice regardless of where they currently stand in our Growth Framework.
About the Role
- Contribute to our event-driven Microservice Architecture (currently 200+ services owned by 40+ teams). You will define and maintain the services your team owns (you design it, you build it, you run it, you scale it globally)
- Use Java 17, Spring Boot and JOOQ to build your services.
- Expose and consume RESTful APIs. We value good API design and we treat our APIs as Products (in the world of Open Banking often times they are gonna be public!)
- Use SNS+SQS and Kafka to send events
- Utilise PostgreSQL via Aurora as your primary datastore (we are heavy AWS users)
- Deploy your services to Production as often as you need to (this usually means multiple times per day!). This is enabled by our CI/CD pipelines powered by GitHub with GitHub actions, and solid JUnit/Pact testing (new joiners are encouraged to have something deployed to production in their first 2 weeks)
- Experience modern GitOps using ArgoCD. Our Cloud team uses Docker, Terraform, EKS/Kubernetes to run the platform.
- Have DataDog as your best friend to monitor your services and investigate issues
- Collaborate closely with Product Owners to understand our Users’ needs, Business opportunities and Regulatory requirements and translate them into well-engineered solutions
What we are looking for in a Backend Engineer
- Have some experience building server-side applications and detailed knowledge of the relevant programming languages for your stack. You don’t need to know Java, but bear in mind that most of our services are written in Java, so you need to be willing to learn it when you have to change something there!
- Have a sound knowledge of a backend framework (e.g. Spring/Spring Boot) that you’ve used to write microservices that expose and consume RESTful APIs
- Have experience engineering scalable and reliable solutions in a cloud-native environment (the most important thing for us is understanding the fundamentals of CI/CD, practical Agile so to speak)
- Demonstrate a mindset of delivering secure, well-tested and well-documented software that integrates with various third party providers and partners (we do that a lot in the fintech industry)
Tidean Ways of Working
Make work, work for you! Tide embraces and supports flexible working arrangements. We are a remote-first business that enables its employees to work remotely from anywhere in their home country. Additionally, Our Working Outside the Office (WOO) policy allows you to work from anywhere in the world, up to 90 days per year per country.
We are remote-first, but when you do want to meet new people, collaborate with your team or simply hang out with your colleagues, our offices are always available and equipped to the highest standard. We offer flexible working hours and trust our employees to do their work well, at times that suit them and their team.
Tide is a place for everyone
At Tide, we believe that we can only succeed if we let our differences enrich our culture. Our Tideans come from a variety of backgrounds and experience levels. We consider everyone irrespective of their ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status. We celebrate diversity in our workforce as a cornerstone of our success. Our commitment to a broad spectrum of ideas and backgrounds is what enables us to build products that resonate with our members’ diverse needs and lives.
We are One Team and foster a transparent and inclusive environment, where everyone’s voice is heard.