Lead Cloud Operations Engineer(SRE/AWS)
Team: Platform Engineering
Global Job Title: Engineer, Cloud – 4
Who are Tide:
At Tide, we’re on a mission to save businesses time and money. We’re the leading provider of UK SME business accounts and one of the fastest-growing FinTechs in the UK. Using the latest tech, we design solutions with SMEs in mind and our member-driven financial platform is transforming the business banking market. Not only do we offer our members business accounts and related banking services, but also a comprehensive set of highly connected admin tools for businesses.
Tide is about doing what you love. We’re looking for someone to join us on our exciting scale up journey and be a part of something special. We are wanting passionate Tideans to drive innovation and help build a best-in-class platform to support our members. You will be comfortable in ambiguous situations and will be able to navigate the evolving FinTech environment. Imagine shaping how millions of Tide members discover and engage with business banking platforms and building this on a global scale.
What we’re looking for:
As part of the Platform Engineering team, you will be helping to run, maintain and evolve the core infrastructure platform that supports Tide’s global businesses. You will engage in Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) activities to proactively find and fix problems with our production platforms as well as perform reactive and scheduled maintenance, like database engine upgrades and certificate management.
You will work closely with our engineering teams to make sure our platform is available and accessible to them and with our Information Security team to ensure we meet and exceed our regulatory obligations.
We are committed to a 100% Infrastructure-as-Code approach to infrastructure builds using Terraform and currently deploy exclusively to AWS. You will assist the Platform Infrastructure team in deploying new components using Terraform and identifying and removing redundant infrastructure and components.
As a Lead Cloud Operations Engineer you’ll be:
- Working as part of a larger Platform Engineering team, comprising Platform Operations (your team), Developer Experience, Platform Infrastructure and Platform Data Engineering.
- Working with internal and external stakeholders to ensure the continued operation of the platform.
- Writing Terraform to make sure any new platform components you create are controlled by IaC.
- Providing softwares engineers with access to and data from the platform where they don’t currently have tools to support their needs (and working with the Developer Experience team to make sure those tools get built).
- Coordinating and executing major upgrades to running infrastructure (such as databases).
- Performing regular maintenance and updates (such as certificate renewals).
- Supporting the finance team with hosting cost analysis and modelling.
- Supporting the Data and Data Engineering teams to set up and maintain data engineering processes.
- Creating operational run books and how-tos.
- Understanding and introducing SRE practices where appropriate.
- Mentoring and teaching (and being open to learning from your peers)
- Taking ownership of issues raised by our Information Security team and making sure they are resolved.
What makes you a great fit:
- Having an extensive career on the Cloud Operations/SRE track. We’re looking for over 8 years of experience and most of that should be in an operations type role in a cloud environment..
- You consider yourself an AWS expert with at least five years of hands-on AWS experience.
- Significant experience with working with cloud hosted relational databases (ideally PostgreSQL and MySQL)
- Good understanding of cloud native architectures and core components (containers, Lambdas, queues, event buses etc).
- You have strong Terraform skills.
- You have a good understanding of Kubernetes.
- you enjoy working with directly with engineers
- You enjoy an environment where everyone’s ideas are heard and considered.
- You are happy to work in a highly regulated and security-conscious industry.
- You have experience working alongside a SecOps team and with SecOps tools.
What you’ll get in return:
Make work, work for you! We are embracing new ways of working and support flexible working arrangements. With our Working Out of Office (WOO) policy our colleagues can work remotely from home or anywhere in their home country. Additionally, you can work from a different country for 90 days of the year. Plus, you’ll get:
- Competitive salary
- Self & Family Health Insurance
- Term & Life Insurance
- OPD Benefits
- Learning & Development Budget
- 25 Annual leaves
- Family & Friendly Leaves
Tidean Ways of Working
At Tide, we’re Member First and Data Driven, but above all, we’re One Team. Our Working Out of Office (WOO) policy allows you to work from anywhere in the world for up to 90 days a year. We are remote first, but when you do want to meet new people, collaborate with your team or simply hang out with your colleagues, our offices are always available and equipped to the highest standard. We offer flexible working hours and trust our employees to do their work well, at times that suit them and their team.
Tide is a place for everyone
At Tide, we believe that we can only succeed if we let our differences enrich our culture. Our Tideans come from a variety of backgrounds and experience levels. We consider everyone irrespective of their ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status. We believe it’s what makes us awesome at solving problems! We are One Team and foster a transparent and inclusive environment, where everyone’s voice is heard.