Lead Database Engineer(PostgreSQL & AWS)
Hyderabad - Remote
Team: Platform Engineering
Internal Job Title: Engineer, Cloud – 4
Who are Tide:
At Tide, we’re on a mission to save businesses time and money. We’re the leading provider of UK SME business accounts and one of the fastest-growing FinTechs in the UK. Using the latest tech, we design solutions with SMEs in mind and our member-driven financial platform is transforming the business banking market. Not only do we offer our members business accounts and related banking services, but also a comprehensive set of highly connected admin tools for businesses.
Tide is about doing what you love. We’re looking for someone to join us on our exciting scale up journey and be a part of something special. We are wanting passionate Tideans to drive innovation and help build a best-in-class platform to support our members. You will be comfortable in ambiguous situations and will be able to navigate the evolving FinTech environment. Imagine shaping how millions of Tide members discover and engage with business banking platforms and building this on a global scale.
What we’re looking for:
As part of the Platform Engineering team, you will be helping to run, maintain and evolve the core infrastructure platform that supports Tide’s global businesses. You will be responsible for providing a secure, scalable and cost effective operational storage tier to our engineers. The majority of your time will be spent designing, implementing and maintaining AWS RDS PostgreSQL clusters and databases.
You will work closely with our engineering teams to help them make the best use of Postgres, including assisting with high-level solution design,sizing and tuning/troubleshooting existing designs and implementations.
You will also help design and implement our database backup and recovery strategy and work with our Data team to make sure relevant data is made available to our data warehouse as well as overseeing major upgrades to the database engine.
As a Lead PostgreSQL Engineer you’ll be:
- Working as part of a larger Platform Engineering team, comprising Platform Operations, Developer Experience, Platform Infrastructure and Platform Data Engineering (your team).
- Working to ensure the continued operation of the platform.
- Working with engineers to design, size and implement new PostgreSQL databases and clusters.
- Working with Developer Experience to help them design and build tools to allow the databases to be managed and monitored.
- Working with Platform Operations to perform major upgrades, implement backup tooling and perform recoveries.
- Performing analysis to make sure we are not under or over provisioning our database clusters.
- Working to build migration paths and tools from MySQL to PostgreSQL.
- Assisting the Data team to support data extracts and internal data engineering processes.
- Learning about and contributing to other parts of our operational storage tier (including AWS DynamoDB, S3 and DocumentDB)
What makes you a great fit:
- We’re looking for someone at least 8 years into their career on the DBA/database engineer track.
- You consider yourself an AWS RDS expert with at least five years of hands-on AWS experience administering and designing RDS PostgreSQL.
- You have experience with AWS data access and engineering tools like DMS, Glue and Athena.
- You have experience with both RDS and Aurora variants of AWS PostgreSQL
- You have good understanding of cloud native architectures and how relational databases fit in.
- You have knowledge of Terraform.
- You enjoy working directly with engineers as an equal partner.
- You enjoy tuning and troubleshooting.
- You enjoy an environment where everyone’s ideas are heard and considered.
- You are happy to work in a highly regulated and security-conscious industry.
- You have an interest in and some experience with MySQL
- You have exposure to a broad range of AWS storage products.
- You have worked with SaaS/Cloud data engineering, data cataloguing and data warehouse products.
What you’ll get in return:
Make work, work for you! We are embracing new ways of working and support flexible working arrangements. With our Working Out of Office (WOO) policy our colleagues can work remotely from home or anywhere in their home country. Additionally, you can work from a different country for 90 days of the year. Plus, you’ll get:
- Competitive salary
- Self & Family Health Insurance
- Term & Life Insurance
- OPD Benefits
- Mental wellbeing through Plumm
- Learning & Development Budget
- WFH Setup allowance
- 15 days of Privilege leaves
- 12 days of Casual leaves
- 12 days of Sick leaves
- 3 paid days off for volunteering or L&D activities
- Stock Options
Tidean Ways of Working
At Tide, we’re Member First and Data Driven, but above all, we’re One Team. Our Working Out of Office (WOO) policy allows you to work from anywhere in the world for up to 90 days a year. We are remote first, but when you do want to meet new people, collaborate with your team or simply hang out with your colleagues, our offices are always available and equipped to the highest standard. We offer flexible working hours and trust our employees to do their work well, at times that suit them and their team.
Tide is a place for everyone
At Tide, we believe that we can only succeed if we let our differences enrich our culture. Our Tideans come from a variety of backgrounds and experience levels. We consider everyone irrespective of their ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status. We believe it’s what makes us awesome at solving problems! We are One Team and foster a transparent and inclusive environment, where everyone’s voice is heard.