Senior Java Engineer
As a Senior Java Engineer you will be working on new and existing projects across our business areas. We have a long roadmap ahead of us, with exciting new features and you’ll be solving interesting problems while collaborating with the rest of the Tide team to achieve our mission to save small and medium businesses time and money.
This is a remote position but at this point we're only considering applications from Germany.
With our expanding business, we will encourage you to outgrow your initial responsibilities. This role offers an exceptional opportunity to make a real difference by taking ownership of engineering practices in a rapidly expanding company!
Technology and our people are what make Tide possible. We work in autonomous teams, self-organise, discuss technical challenges, and set our own guidelines in the different Community of Practices.
On the backend we see Java 8 as legacy and use Java 11+ for our micro-services. We provide RESTful APIs to our colleagues in the frontend. Spring Boot is our work horse, but we are open to new experiments. We are cloud-native and run everything on AWS. You’ll see containers (Docker), queues (SNS+SQS, Kafka) and events everywhere. The nature of our business naturally fits with relational databases, but we have also found some use cases for NoSQL. Our frontends have done an incredible job at consuming our APIs and providing the best UX to our members. They are native Android and iOS apps or Angular 2+ web apps. The Cloud Engineering team provides us with vital infrastructure and DevOps support on the cloud.
Some of the things you’ll be doing:
- Working on internal projects for some of our business areas. Your fellow team members will get you up to speed and will help you develop the skills so that you are the one coaching other new joiners.
- Becoming part of one of our expanding agile teams and actively collaborating with your colleagues from the other Backend and iOS, Android, Web, QA, DevOps, Agile, Data, and Product teams at Tide to translate requirements into well-engineered solutions.
- Joining our backend Community of Practices, learn from them, and propose your own at some point to maintain high quality across the backend. Career progression is as important to you as it is for us.
You’ll be a great fit if you:
- Have extensive experience building server-side applications and detailed knowledge of the relevant programming languages for your stack (i.e Java 8 or newer).
- Have sound knowledge of a Java backend framework (e.g. Spring/Spring Boot).
- Have experience with microservices or implementing and consuming RESTful APIs.
- Demonstrate a mindset of delivering secure, well-tested, and well-documented software.
- Willing to own your code from development to production.
- Have experience with relational databases.
- Have some exposure to continuous integration, delivery, and deployment.
- Are comfortable working in agile methodologies, ideally Scrum.
- Have utilized common development tools such as IntelliJ, Git, Jira, etc.
Who are Tide?
We’re the UK’s leading provider of smart current accounts for sole traders and small companies. We’re also on a mission to save business owners time and money on their banking and finance admin so they can get back to doing what they love – for too long, these customers have been under-served by the big banks.
Our offices are located in London, UK, Sofia, Bulgaria and Hyderabad, India, where our teams are dedicated to our small business members, revolutionizing business banking for SMEs. We are also the leading provider of UK SME business accounts and one of the fastest-growing fintechs in the UK.
We’re scaling at speed with a focus on hiring talented individuals with a growth mindset and ownership mentality, who are able to juggle multiple and sometimes changing priorities. Our values show our commitment to working as one team, working collaboratively to take action and deliver results. Being members first, we are passionate about our members and put them first. We are data-driven. We make decisions and create insights using data.
What you’ll get in return:
- 25 days annual leave and additional days of on national holidays in Germany
- Competitive compensation package
- Company stock options
Here’s what we think about diversity and inclusion…
We build our services for all types of small business owners. We aim to be as diverse as our members so we hire people from a variety of backgrounds. We’re proud that our diversity not only reflects our multicultural society but that this breadth of experience makes us awesome at solving problems. Everyone here has a voice and you’ll be able to make a difference. If you share our values and want to help small businesses, you’ll make an amazing Tidean.